FACIAL PLASTIC & RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY
Dr. Milgrim Is New Jersey’s Leading Rhinoplasty Surgeon
Benefits of Nose SurgeryRhinoplasty is known to be one of the most complex and demanding forms of facial plastic surgery. When performed by a specialist, it can improve overall appearance as well as address nasal conditions:
- Correction of breathing difficulties, such as inadequate airflow
- Treatment of sleep apnea and other breathing disorders
- A decrease in sinus infections/sinusitis
- Reduction of bulbous nasal tip and bridge
- Boost to patients’ self-confidence
What Is “The Natural Nose”?The nose serves as both a vital organ and an important aesthetic feature. During Dr. Milgrim’s training with some of the most well-known plastic surgeons in New Jersey, he observed that nearly all rhinoplasties were cookie-cutter procedures, shaping one type of nose for all patients. Since these noses do not look right on any face, he started to develop his own techniques that allow him to give patients the appearance of “unoperated” noses. Over the past twenty years, Dr. Milgrim’s commitment to sculpting the “Natural Nose” has gained him national and international recognition. With each surgery that he performs, Dr. Milgrim strives to create a nose to bring balance to the entire face without erasing the natural or ethnic attributes of the nose. His Natural Nose blends the nose with other features of the face, producing a look that is uniquely suited to each patient. Unlike other surgeons who even these days sculpt the same nose over and over again, Dr. Milgrim ensures individualized results. His experience allows him to incorporate techniques that are less common. For instance, Dr. Milgrim tries to avoid using grafts to alter the shape of the nose. Grafts tend to leave a noticeable hard look that makes it obvious someone has had a nose job – read more about grafts below. He also tries to minimize tissue rearrangement as part of surgery and works through the smallest incisions possible.
Types of RhinoplastyDr. Milgrim is highly experienced in performing several types of rhinoplasty, including but not limited to:
- Primary Cosmetic Nose Surgery
- Revision rhinoplasty
- Reconstructive Nose Surgery
In efforts to decrease healing time, Dr. Milgrim includes the usage of minimal grafting. When absolutely necessary, he expertly uses cartilage from other areas of the body, mainly the septum to supplement your nose with the required boost of support without creating an overly altered appearance. Dr. Milgrim sutures the graft into position. Utilizing natural cartilage from your own body serves to enhance and correct irregularities of the nose safely. He only opts for the usage of grafts when the implementation will most likely prove positive and desirable results, typically in revision rhinoplasty cases.
Open vs Closed RhinoplastyWhile Dr. Milgrim is experienced in both open and closed rhinoplasty procedures to reshape your nasal tip, it should be addressed 90% of his rhinoplasty cases are closed vs. open, meaning incisions will be internal. An open nose surgery consists of an incision along the soft tissue between your nostrils, whereas a closed rhinoplasty places incisions within your nose, reducing visible scarring. Seeing women and men for rhinoplasty at his New Jersey offices, Dr. Milgrim will explain to you during your consultation what are the advantages of each surgical approach and what would be his recommended approach for your nose. Open rhinoplasty is needed in certain cases where it would produce a more precise alteration of your nasal shape than with closed rhinoplasty. Closed rhinoplasty lends to quicker healing time and no visible scarring because of its less invasive nature. Both techniques have their benefits, and based on Dr. Milgrim’s experience, most rhinoplasties can be performed through a closed technique. Patients travel to Dr. Milgrim from other states and countries due to his ability to deliver a scarless nose/minimization of post-operative scars. Depending on the look you would like to achieve, he will work with you to develop an individualized treatment plan for your specific cosmetic procedure.
Ethnic NosesRegardless of your ethnicity, a visit to our office guarantees exceptional results designed to fit your unique needs and appearance. The size, structure, characteristics, and details of your nose make you who you are and Dr. Milgrim does his best to preserve these characteristics while addressing cosmetic concerns you point out. He understands how important your ethnic features are to you and works to maintain your natural appearance out of respect for your heritage.
Before, During and After Your Rhinoplasty Procedure
- Before: During your pre-surgical consultation at our NJ office, Dr. Milgrim will provide you with a surgical plan and guidelines to optimize results – such as avoiding certain medications, vitamins, supplements, and smoking. His office staff will help you prepare for surgery – stock up on certain prescriptions, lip balm, beverages, and Arnica Montana. You should have a friend or family member accompany you to surgery and arrange for transportation back home.
- During: Dr. Milgrim performs rhinoplasty at his state-of-the-art New Jersey surgical facility. After the patient is properly anesthetized, Dr. Milgrim views the internal structure, modifies the bone, cartilage, and/or tissues to achieve the desired result. After this, he repositions tissues and skin and closes any internal or external incisions that were made. While most rhinoplasty procedures range from 3-4 hours, Dr. Milgrim prides himself on his average surgery time being roughly one hour. His approach to lowering surgical time decreases trauma and speeds up the recovery process.
- After: Dr. Milgrim’s patients tend to describe the recovery process as being uncomfortable, rather than painful. There will be some amount of swelling and bruising, so many patients prefer to remain at home for the first several days. After three days, pain is decreased severely, with swelling and bruising over after one week. Most of his patients take 1–2 weeks maximum off of work or school to recover from rhinoplasty. Splints and/or sutures are usually removed within one week, at which point the individual will begin to get an idea about the result of their surgery. It often takes 6-12 months for the nose to take its final post-operative shape.
Watch Our Patient’s Rhinoplasty Video Journal
Why Choose Dr. Milgrim for Your Rhinoplasty Procedure?Highly trained in the art of nasal reconstruction and an expert in the field of Rhinoplasty procedures, Dr. Milgrim is considered one of the best facial plastic surgeons in NJ. His expertise and advanced techniques allow him to minimize scars, bruising and swelling. There are a few surgeons in New Jersey that matches his training, skills, and experience in closed rhinoplasty. His bedside manners and friendly, non-judgmental, approachable personality make patients feel comfortable to consult with him privately and take the journey together toward a beautiful, highly-customized nose. Our office is centrally located in Bergen County, New Jersey, providing easy access to the surrounding communities of Englewood, Fort Lee, Teaneck, and Westwood. In addition, many of Dr. Milgrim’s patients travel from out-of-state to work with him as his proven record as a leading rhinoplasty surgeon make the travel more than worthwhile. Call or email Dr. Milgrim’s office today 201.357.4702 for your complimentary consultation.
How painful is rhinoplasty?Similar to any surgery, either local or general anesthetic is used during the procedure. After rhinoplasty surgery, patients report minimal pain resulting from stuffiness and nasal swelling. Medication to alleviate discomfort is always available. While many of my patients are concerned about discomfort following a nose job, at our New Jersey practice, rhinoplasty patients are often surprised by how easy the recovery is.
Is computer imaging an option for planning my rhinoplasty?Computer imaging creates pre-operative visuals using digital photography. This tool helps you gain a better understanding of what you’d look like after a nose job. NJ rhinoplasty expert Dr. Milgrim proudly offers this technology, helping patients define goals and develop realistic expectations regarding nose surgery.
What parts of the nose can be changed by a nose job?Most of my patients are concerned about the following sections of the nose: The profile, tip, width, and nostrils. With Dr. Milgrim’s expert techniques, the nose can be made smaller, or larger, or narrower and more refined, while maintaining its general size. Each area is carefully addressed while keeping your facial features perfectly balanced.
What risks and complications are associated with rhinoplasty?All surgeries are accompanied by risk, and while a nose job is no exception, the risks are minimal. There is a chance of bleeding, scarring and infection and irregularities from your body’s healing process. Sometimes, revision rhinoplasty is required for optimal results. By visiting a board-certified rhinoplasty specialist you can minimize risks associated with the procedure and maximize your outcome.
Is rhinoplasty covered by insurance?Insurance companies usually do not cover cosmetic treatments, however, treatments that address a functional issue such as breathing obstruction are often covered. For instance, if you suffer from a deviated septum, assistance may be available to you. Or, if your nose problem stems from an accident, insurance will typically cover a portion of the cost. Dr. Milgrim can assist his NJ rhinoplasty patients with submitting a claim.
What cosmetic issues does rhinoplasty address?Cosmetic rhinoplasty, performed by NJ board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Milgrim, can address and correct a wide range of aesthetic defects. His procedure corrects:
- Nasal hump
- A nose that is too long or too short
- Nasal tip angled awkwardly
- Flared or pinched nostrils
- A nose that is too wide or too narrow
- Exceptionally large nostrils
- Nasal asymmetry in relation to other facial features.